- We must be loved by everyone and everyone must approve of everything we do.
- We must be thoroughly competent, adequate, intelligent, and achieving in all possible respects.
- Certain acts are wrong or wicked or villainous, and people who perform them should be severely punished.
- It is a terrible catastrophe when things are not as we would like them to be.
- Unhappiness is the result of external events and happenings that are focused on us and that we have no control over.
- We should be greatly concerned about dangerous and fearful things and must center our thinking on them until the danger has passed.
- It is easier to avoid difficulties and responsibilities in life than to face them.
- We need someone or something stronger than ourselves to rely on.
- Because something greatly influenced us in the past, it must determine our present behavior: the influence of the past cannot be overcome.
- What other people do is vitally important to us, and we should make every effort to change them to be the way we think they should be.
- There is one perfect solution to every problem, and if it is not found, the results will be terrible.
- One has virtually no control over her emotions; she is their victim and cannot help how she feels.
Academic Resource Center
Sweet Briar College
Sweet Briar, VA 24595
Phone: (434) 381-6278
Fax: (434) 381-6215